Dear Marriage Supporter,
The next few weeks is a critical time for NOM, and for everything we're working to achieve.
As you know, we have a lot on our plate to restore marriage to its rightful place in the law and protect marriage supporters from discrimination. We're working on:
- Passing the First Amendment Defense Act through Congress and state legislatures so that no American who supports traditional marriage can be penalized or punished by the government;
- Electing a pro-marriage champion as president;
- Standing up for victims of intolerance like Kim Davis who have been targeted simply because they refuse to back down from their principled position in support of marriage;
- Developing a grassroots initiative to educate and engage the American people in the cause of marriage; and
- Holding the GOP accountable.
Each of these objectives will face critical action points over the next few weeks. In addition, this is the most important time of year for NOM as it is a make or break period financially. If we are not able to raise the resources needed to continue to pursue our plan, we will have no choice but to cut planned activities and scale back.
Fortunately, we have a generous donor who has agreed to match anything you donate, dollar for dollar, through the end of the year. This is a great blessing and we hope you will take advantage of this opportunity by making a generous donation today.
We have made some remarkable progress in advancing our plan to restore marriage while protecting the rights of traditional marriage supporters. For example:
- Our work in support of the First Amendment Defense Act has helped result in 188 sponsors in the House and US Senate — over 35% of the entire Congress. We expect this critical legislation to come up for a vote in the next several weeks and we must be prepared to mount an aggressive push to enact it.
- At the state level, we helped our allies in North Carolina achieve a remarkable victory when the Legislature passed and then overrode a gubernatorial veto of legislation that protects the right of officials to refuse to issue same-sex 'marriage' licenses that violate their deeply held beliefs.
- The March for Marriage held last April was the largest march in American history in support of marriage, with NOM bringing together an incredibly diverse crowd of 15,000 people. You can watch a video recap here.
- We issued our Presidential Marriage Pledge and four candidates have signed on, establishing themselves as marriage champions — Dr. Ben Carson, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Rick Santorum and Gov. Bobby Jindal. Gov. Mike Huckabee has issued his own pledge and continues to champion marriage on the campaign trail.
- We served notice to the GOP last November that voters continue to demand that Republican candidates reaffirm their support for the truth of marriage when we defeated two House candidates who supported same-sex 'marriage' and helped elect pro-marriage champions in hotly-contested US Senate contests in Arkansas and North Carolina.
- We helped launch a massive grassroots uprising of Americans to stand in support of Kentucky clerk Kim Davis who was jailed for refusing to abandon her faith and principles and succumb to pressure that she personally issue same-sex 'marriage' licenses that violate her beliefs and the Kentucky constitution. I was honored to have been a featured speaker at a huge rally demanding her release.
Each of these accomplishments required a tremendous effort and expenditure of resources. Unlike groups working to destroy marriage, NOM does not have large reserves or billionaire donors. Our effectiveness is directly tied to the resources we are able to raise from grassroots supporters like you who believe in God's design for marriage. Please consider making a generous gift today, which will be matched dollar for dollar, and put into the fight during these critical coming weeks.I'll make a donation of $100, which will be matched resulting in NOM receiving $200.
As we gear up to push our plan forward during the balance of the year, it is essential that we have the resources we need to be effective. Right now we are $100,000 short of reaching our budget for the rest of the year. Unless we can close that gap we will have no choice but to scale back our efforts and cut critical activities that are desperately needed.
I can tell you that we are doing everything we can to manage our work effectively and efficiently. We've streamlined our operations and cut overhead so that everything we raise is put to use in the most efficient way possible. But unless we are able to raise the $100,000 we need to close our budget gap, we will have to take drastic action that could well make the difference between victory and defeat:
- We may not be able to mount the aggressive grassroots push needed for the First Amendment Defense Act in Congress and at the state level.
- We may not be able to push a pro-marriage champion forward as the GOP nominee for president.
- We may not be able to pursue our planned grassroots education and engagement initiative.
- We may not have the resources to stand up for people like Kim Davis, or all the others (bakers, florists, photographers, printers, inn keepers, etc.) who have been punished by government for standing for the truth of marriage.
- And we may not be able to undertake critical activities to hold the GOP accountable.
Please act today with your most generous financial contribution so that we can continue to pursue all of these critical elements of our plan. Marriage is too important to be abandoned for lack of resources. We need your help today.
PS — Because of a generous donor, whatever amount you donate — whether it be $25, $35, $50, $100 or even $250 or more — will be matched dollar for dollar for the rest of the year. Please take advantage of this tremendous opportunity to invest in the cause of marriage today.